OTC Japans

Anything regarding OTC: Japanese!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Extra terrestial life?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TebanaSankichi

PostSubject: Extra terrestial life?   Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:36 pm

So what do you think? They don't have to be intelligent per se, any life is fine.

IMO, if you have just the most basic knowlegde of astronomy and have some idea of the size the universe, it's actually quite retarded to think we're alone. Just to give you an idea: the sun is our closest star with 8 orbiting planets ( 9 including pluto ), with at least one planet containing life.

The second-closest star is Alpha Centauri, which is about 4 and a half lightyears away from us. Not a place we'll be reaching soon. Beside this star, their are a gazillion other stars in just our milky way, each star with the possibility of planets, and each planet with the possibility of life.

To take a step further, we go outside of the milky way, and find about a gazillion other GALAXIES, some way bigger than our own. I dont think I really have to point out how much possibily of life that is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tebanasankichi.blogspot.com/
ロッテ

PostSubject: Re: Extra terrestial life?   Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:02 pm

TebanaSankichi wrote:
So what do you think? They don't have to be intelligent per se, any life is fine.

IMO, if you have just the most basic knowlegde of astronomy and have some idea of the size the universe, it's actually quite retarded to think we're alone. Just to give you an idea: the sun is our closest star with 8 orbiting planets ( 9 including pluto ), with at least one planet containing life.

The second-closest star is Alpha Centauri, which is about 4 and a half lightyears away from us. Not a place we'll be reaching soon. Beside this star, their are a gazillion other stars in just our milky way, each star with the possibility of planets, and each planet with the possibility of life.

To take a step further, we go outside of the milky way, and find about a gazillion other GALAXIES, some way bigger than our own. I dont think I really have to point out how much possibily of life that is.

I like to put it more simply: wouldn`t it be kind of selfish to think we`re the only ones out there?

oh did you see that clip from that british guy filming somewhere at a tankstation, with the disc-shaped object seemingly followed by 2 fighters planes? I don`t really have much of an opinion of it, besides, "....so, why aren`t there more pictures/videos of it?" XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TebanaSankichi

PostSubject: Re: Extra terrestial life?   Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:04 pm

I dont really believe in aliens in UFO's and shit, hehe. Since the uni is so big, they probably didnt find us yet either~
Back to top Go down
ロッテ

PostSubject: Re: Extra terrestial life?   Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:27 pm

TebanaSankichi wrote:
I dont really believe in aliens in UFO's and shit, hehe. Since the uni is so big, they probably didnt find us yet either~

I bet Obama is one, he`s too awesome *nod nod nod nod*

well, there is a theory that the world is ruled by (I think it was alien) lizards =D a conspiracy theory, but still. *shrug*

and IDK, I prefer believing that yes, there is life out there, but indeed also that no, they`re also not capable of visiting us. Why would they just fly around and abduct random people every now and then and then drop them off again anyway. If they`re really capable of flying about and getting here and stuff, we`re probably not worth much more than the average cockroach is worth to us anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TebanaSankichi

PostSubject: Re: Extra terrestial life?   Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:06 pm

Exactly!

and I just love conspiracy theories, hehe, heard of Flat Earth society? Dont know if it's a hoax though, I honestly hope so.

ps; I like your sig, hehe

And you know, a debate between 2 people who kind of agree with each other isnt very exciting. Where is everyone Sad
Back to top Go down
ロッテ

PostSubject: Re: Extra terrestial life?   Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:24 pm

TebanaSankichi wrote:
Exactly!

and I just love conspiracy theories, hehe, heard of Flat Earth society? Dont know if it's a hoax though, I honestly hope so.

ps; I like your sig, hehe

And you know, a debate between 2 people who kind of agree with each other isnt very exciting. Where is everyone Sad

oh I think I might`ve heard of that one, yes. Weird stuff XDD

why thank you *bows* . I was on some weird websites yesterday, came across this XD

and indeed ;__; though the flailing about random conspiracy theories might be fun, it`s not really a proper discussion. Where the hell everyone is, no clue. Too busy to entertain us XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ciot

PostSubject: Re: Extra terrestial life?   Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:36 am

yes i do think there is extra terrestrial life, but like many people say; "why care about that. We need to concentrate on the here and now. "

Its hard to say something like. No there cannot be other life. Except maybe you believe in god saying that he created the earth and only made us. And that the rest is just something we want to see in our fantasy.

But it is an hard topic to debate about. sure most people need proof there is other life out there, but it is also hard to deny it. A couple of years back I heard Nasa found a planet that just looked like earth, but they couldn't see if there was life on that planet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TebanaSankichi

PostSubject: Re: Extra terrestial life?   Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:46 pm

Ciot wrote:
yes i do think there is extra terrestrial life, but like many people say; "why care about that. We need to concentrate on the here and now. "

Its hard to say something like. No there cannot be other life. Except maybe you believe in god saying that he created the earth and only made us. And that the rest is just something we want to see in our fantasy.

But it is an hard topic to debate about. sure most people need proof there is other life out there, but it is also hard to deny it. A couple of years back I heard Nasa found a planet that just looked like earth, but they couldn't see if there was life on that planet.

If everyone thought like that, we would never discover anything. If scientists would just think "why should I care, it's not here and now' we wouldnt really get anywhere now would we?

Why not care / think about it? Its just as much part of our lives as anything else. If alien life was discovered, it might have a great impact on everyone's life, so it is important.
Back to top Go down
Ciot

PostSubject: Re: Extra terrestial life?   Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:55 pm

Most of the technology has been discovered during war times. But before we can do more in like space travelling. We need to overcome our problems in the world we live in. People think of aliens like a fairy tail and people need therefore focus on the here and now first. If we let people of the world know there is really extra terrestrial life then there will be chaos. So it is better to not know about it. We only think of power and only make us better over others and this will not change for a long time. if aliens would come to our planet there is a bigger chance we try to destroy that alien then welcome it to our world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TebanaSankichi

PostSubject: Re: Extra terrestial life?   Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:32 am

Ciot wrote:
Most of the technology has been discovered during war times. But before we can do more in like space travelling. We need to overcome our problems in the world we live in. People think of aliens like a fairy tail and people need therefore focus on the here and now first. If we let people of the world know there is really extra terrestrial life then there will be chaos. So it is better to not know about it. We only think of power and only make us better over others and this will not change for a long time. if aliens would come to our planet there is a bigger chance we try to destroy that alien then welcome it to our world.

The bolded part is a little besides my point. Im saying that if people would not think of 'fairy tales' as you call it, we wouldnt get anywhere.

I think that IS the problem. People shouldnt think of aliens as a fairy tale. The chances of alien life excisting are very real, and the reason for having to think about it is exactly that - to AVOID chaos. And we really dont have to panic if we discover micro bacteria on Jupiter. To most people it may not be interesting, but for those who understand what that means, its a really big deal. It is a really big deal.
Back to top Go down
ロッテ

PostSubject: Re: Extra terrestial life?   Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:51 pm

TebanaSankichi wrote:
Ciot wrote:

The bolded part is a little besides my point. Im saying that if people would not think of 'fairy tales' as you call it, we wouldnt get anywhere.

I think that IS the problem. People shouldnt think of aliens as a fairy tale. The chances of alien life excisting are very real, and the reason for having to think about it is exactly that - to AVOID chaos. And we really dont have to panic if we discover micro bacteria on Jupiter. To most people it may not be interesting, but for those who understand what that means, its a really big deal. It is a really big deal.

it IS a really big deal, because if there are micro bacteria on Jupiter (and well, they`ve almost certainly found some on Mars at least), chances are there`s more developed life somewhere else. It also proofs that yes, life is possible on other planets, and with the way scientists think, that also might make it possible for us to move there at some point, maaaaybe. XD.

What I still think is stupid is the assumption of scientists that aliens have the same basic needs as life on earth. I mean, it`s a different planet, why suggest that aliens also need oxygen? water? eyes? legs? Life on earth needed (some of) that because it was around everywhere and everything developed to be dependant on it, which makes it - to me - perfectly acceptable to assume that alien life forms might live off of completely different things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TebanaSankichi

PostSubject: Re: Extra terrestial life?   Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:02 am

ロッテ wrote:
What I still think is stupid is the assumption of scientists that aliens have the same basic needs as life on earth. I mean, it`s a different planet, why suggest that aliens also need oxygen? water? eyes? legs? Life on earth needed (some of) that because it was around everywhere and everything developed to be dependant on it, which makes it - to me - perfectly acceptable to assume that alien life forms might live off of completely different things.

That is so true! I always get annoyed when people assume life on Jupiter is impossible because of, for example, the temperature >_> I understand why scientists do it though, I think they need to have something to start with. Otherwise they might as well search every inch of every star, planet, astroid etc. for life. Which they should of course, but thats kind of an impossible task Razz

I also hate it when people say 'If there are aliens who are smarter than us, they would have already found us by now'. Seriously, people who say that should get a freaking astronomy course.
Back to top Go down
kavyaanshrike

PostSubject: Re: Extra terrestial life?   Mon May 10, 2010 6:59 pm

i liked et
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ロッテ

PostSubject: Re: Extra terrestial life?   Sat May 22, 2010 2:28 pm

TebanaSankichi wrote:
ロッテ wrote:

That is so true! I always get annoyed when people assume life on Jupiter is impossible because of, for example, the temperature >_> I understand why scientists do it though, I think they need to have something to start with. Otherwise they might as well search every inch of every star, planet, astroid etc. for life. Which they should of course, but thats kind of an impossible task Razz

I also hate it when people say 'If there are aliens who are smarter than us, they would have already found us by now'. Seriously, people who say that should get a freaking astronomy course.

oh and look what I came across the other day:
http://io9.com/5536752/five-creatures-that-prove-life-could-exist-on-other-planets-or-in-space
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extra terrestial life?   

Back to top Go down

Extra terrestial life?
Page 1 of 1